Questions and Answers

  • Do I need a student Visa to study at Language Exchange International?

If the main purpose of your visit to the United States is to study, the Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), recommends that you should apply for a student Visa (F1). Student Visa holders are required to attend 18 hours of school each week.  As a student you must be serious about attending classes regularly.  Attendance is a major factor in the  maintaining of your student status.

If however,  you are planning on improving your English while at the same time enjoying a vacation in beautiful South Florida, and prefer a less intensive program where attendance is not a critical factor,  you can then enroll in Language Exchange International on a tourist Visa. For additional information about student Visas please visit: US Government Visas and study of English.

  • How can I apply for a student Visa before I come to study at Language Exchange International?

In order to apply for a student Visa (F1) at an American Embassy or Consulate in your home country, you must first receive an I-20 form from our school.  In order to receive an I-20 you must submit the following documentation to Language Exchange International:

  • Complete the School’s Application for Admission. Please be sure to indicate the desired start date of your program, which can be any Monday, but in advance to allow you enough time to prepare all the documentation for the Visa application and interview.
  • A Copy of your passport’s biometrics page.  If you have dependents (husband or wife, children who will travel with you to the USA, you need to submit copies of their passport’s biometrics pages.
  • Proof of financial stability.
    • As a student with an F1 Visa you will not be authorized to work in the United States during your first year of study. 
    • For that reason, you must prove to the U.S. government that you have sufficient financial resources to sustain yourself while studying here.  
    • In order to calculate the amount of money you should have on your financial statement,  at minimum $1,000.00 per month for living expenses, plus tuition costs ($560)
    • If you have a sponsor ( family member or friend who is willing to support you during your studies in the United States), that person must show $2,000.00 per month for living expenses  plus tuition costs ($560).
    •  A sponsor must  complete and sign the Affidavit of Financial Support.  To prove your sponsors financial stability you must submit a recent copy (no older than 30 days) of the sponsors bank statement which clearly shows the following information:  the bank account holder’s name, the date of the bank statement, and the amount of money in the account which may be in a foreign currency.
  • Additional materials required:
    • Payment of non-refundable registration fee in the amount of $125.00.  
    • You are required to have the original I-20 when you go to the American Consulate to apply for the student Visa. We strongly recommend that you have the I-20 mailed from our office via FedEx or UPS.  There  is a cost of $150.00 for this service which can also be paid on-line through our payment service. The original I-20 can also be picked up in person in our main office.
    • Upon receipt of ALL the above documentation, which must be complete and accurate, within one week, our Director of Admissions will issue the I-20.
  • A few final steps
    • Upon receipt of the I-20 you must sign it and then pay SEVIS I-901 fee.  For additional information about the SEVIS I-901 fee, visit their website: SEVIS Information.
    • After this process has been completed you can then make an appointment for the Required Visa interview at the local American Consulate.  You must have all of the supporting documentation as outlined in this  section.
  • What do I do if my Visa is denied?
    • If your student Visa is denied, you must notify our school immediately about the denial.  Call 561-368-3913 or email us at
  • I have a Student Visa and an I-20 through another school. Can I transfer to Language Exchange International?
    • Given the quality and reputation of the Language Exchange International Program, we receive many transfers on a regular basis. Therefore:
    •  SIGN the Transfer Form from Language Exchange International and send it to the school that you attended last.  
    • The school that you attended last will complete the form and send it directly to the Director of Admissions at Language Exchange International.
    • The Director of Admissions at Language Exchange International will address the  second step in the process of completing the transfer. 
  • Remember, there is a grace period provided by Immigration requiring you to enroll at Language Exchange International before that grace period expires.  Contact your current school or visit the SEVIS INFORMATION  website for more information.  This deadline is critical!